Everyone knows breakfast is the most important meal of the day, yet many people skip this meal to save time in the morning as they rush out the door. I hope this post will motivate you to start eating breakfast if you don’t already, or perhaps cause you to re-evaluate what you’re eating if you do.
There are many reasons why breakfast is of great importance, here are a few:
– overnight fasting means muscle breakdown is at its greatest in the morning; you gotta eat to take care of those muscles!
– eating after you wake up will kick start your metabolism.
– eating regular meals, including breakfast can help you maintain/loose weight.
– those who skip breakfast are more likely to be overweight. These people often overeat at lunch and dinner or snack on unhealthy foods during the day.
– skipping breakfast makes it harder for you meet your nutritional needs.
– Eating breakfast will clear your head and get you going in the morning; your brain needs energy just as much as your body.
That takes care of why you should eat breakfast, now what should you eat?
Coffee and a doughnut, or high sugar cereals just wont suffice. It is important that you incorporate all of the macronutrients for a filling, well rounded meal that won’t spike your blood sugar and leave you hungry and tired an hour later.
Incorporating a healthy source of fat, carbs, and protein is the way to go! So put away your white bread and jam and reach for the eggs, oats, and nuts instead.
Making breakfast doesn’t have to take long, and just because it is healthy doesn’t mean it will taste bad. Here are some meals I love to eat for breakfast:
1. A slice of Rudolphs bavarian multigrain bread, 1 whole egg, 3 egg whites, handful of chopped spinach, onion, and bell pepper.
2. 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt with some mixed berries.
3. 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/3 cup of oats mixed with a tablespoon of chia seeds and cinnamon.
4. Chocolate protein shake with a handful of nuts and an apple.
5. Kamut puffs with a handful of sliced almonds using a protein shake as milk – my new favourite!
Besides the foods listed above, you’ll also catch me eating last nights left-overs (chicken, fish, salads, sweet potatos…) for breakfast. Who said I can’t eat dinner for breakfast? Changing it up will keep your body guessing and prevent your taste buds from going stale.
I will have to take pictures of these awesome meals and post them for you to see. Until then, if you have any questions or suggestions for making breakfast healthy and delicious, feel free to leave a post!
Side note: Drink a tall glass of ice water upon waking, and eat breakfast within an hour of getting out of bed.